Sunday, January 18, 2009

Catchup on history before I decided to sign up

The purpose of this blog is to document more then just the actual event but the journey as well. As with most big events, the actual event tends not to be the more interesting part.

First, a little history about myself. I am not a hard core swimmer that has been swimming continuously since I was 8 years old. I did swim on a YMCA team starting somewhere around 8 years old but only swam 2-3 days a week. I lost interest in swimming in my early teens and stopped. When I moved to Ohio my junior year of High School, I re-found swimming for slightly more then a year. I never achieved fantastic times to even consider college scholarships. I briefly contemplated walking on when I went to Va Tech but was quickly tempted away with women (mainly my future wive, Merce) and beer. So I spent my college career drinking and working on my degree.

By the time I graduated from college and moved to Colorado, I was beginning to lose my youthful shape (to put it kindly). I started back exercising at the age of about 24. As I started back, swimming was part of my exercise program but running and biking were my main focus. I think it was the high altitude and sunshine that effected my judgment but my events seemed to be getting longer and longer. By the time I was approached to make the decision to attempt the English Channel, I had completed 13 running marathons, 8 10K swims, 2 Ironman triathlons and was training for my 3rd Ironman.

The historical background becomes important primarily in how it eventually shapes my preparation and training. In basic terms, endurance events no longer scared me. I had experienced 12-13 hours hour events with the Ironman and knew a lot about what worked and what did not work for my body. What I had not done is any cold water swimming past about 2 to 3 hours. This combined with the fact I was coming off a great year of doing my first Boston Marathon and Ironman Austria meant I did not have a "typical" English Channel swimmer body. I hit a low of 135 lbs at 5'8", a good 10 lbs lighter then I graduated high school. In general, this is a good thing for a 46 year old but not if they plan on surviving 10-12 hours of swimming in 60F water in the English Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment