Thursday, April 9, 2009

Malta Bound

Tomorrow morning, I will be on a plane bound for Malta to participate in the SwimTrek long distance swim camp.  The pinnacle of the trip will be attempting the 6 hour qualifying swim in 59F water on Wednesday.   I am confident in my endurance for the swim with the training Eliz and I have done but the surviving 6 hours in that cold of water has me more then a little nervous.

A quick update on my back injury from the previous blog, it ended up being a relative non-issue.  It did end up being purely a muscular issue that was easily treated via physical therapy and massage.   The root cause was determined to be imbalance in muscle development from all the front crawl swimming I was doing and no offsetting muscle development via stroke work, weights, etc.  I am doing light muscle activation exercises for recovery to get me through the swim camp but afterwards I will need to add offsetting muscle development exercises to my weekly schedule.   Suggestions that have been offered to me include using a rowing machine, more backstroke in my swimming workouts and weights.  A word of warning to future Channel wannabes, have a balance exercise program in place.  

While in Malta, I will try to post some updates as I have energy and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment